Friday, November 7, 2008

Do doctors make house calls?

Being 36 weeks along in my pregnancy I thought that I would research what to bring with you to the hospital. I used the site that I get weekly updates from regarding my pregnancy so I thought that I would stick with them. This is what they suggest.....(my comments are in red next to them)

You may want to pack two small bags for the hospital or birth center: one for the items you'll need during labor and another for items that you won't need until after you give birth. Here's a list of things that experienced moms recommend packing. You may also want to ask your caregiver, childbirth educator, or doula for tips on what to bring.

For labor
• Your birth plan. (The plan is to get the baby out!!)

• Your insurance card and any hospital paperwork you need. (Isn't that why we PRE-register?)
• Your eyeglasses, if you need any. Even if you usually wear contacts, you'll probably need or want to take them out at some point during your stay.
• Toiletries. Include items you might want during labor and your postpartum stay, such as lip balm, a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, a brush and comb, and makeup, if it's important to you. Hospitals will have soap, shampoo, and lotion, but you might prefer your own brands. Don't forget a hair band and barrettes, if you think you might want them.
• A bathrobe, nightgown, slippers, and a couple of pairs of socks. Hospitals provide gowns for you to use during labor and afterward, but most will allow you to wear your own clothes if you prefer. Choose something loose and comfortable that you don't mind getting ruined.You'll need to wear a gown instead of pants so that your practitioner can check your cervix. Choose one that's either sleeveless or has short, loose sleeves so your blood pressure can be checked easily and so you can slip the gown off without difficulty if you want to change and have an IV in place.You might also want to bring your own slippers and robe for walking around during the early stages of labor. If you don't want to risk soiling your robe, you can ask for a second hospital gown to wear as a robe to cover your backside. (I was already told not to bring my own hospital gown by my sister-in-law. I had mentioned I had seen Tori Spelling wear a REALLY cute one while delivering Baby Stella....but the suggestion was shot down.) :o)
• Something light to read, if you're so inclined. (This might be especially helpful if you're heading to the hospital to be induced and might be there quite a while before you have any serious contractions to deal with.) (I really don't think that's what people are doing while waiting for their baby to come....pulling out the latest book on Oprah's Book Club List and reading.)
• Massage oils or lotions, music, an extra pillow, whatever you need to help you relax. (If you do bring your own pillow, be sure to use a patterned or colorful pillowcase so it doesn't get mixed up with the hospital's.) Consider bringing tennis balls or a rolling pin in case you have back labor and need them for massage. (I don't think that me, trying to remember a rolling pin on our way out the door, is going to make me relaxed...)
• Talismans, a picture of someone or something you love, anything you find reassuring. (Isn't your husband suppose to be the reassuring part? Or is this the time when you want to kill him? So I have heard....)

For your partner/labor coach
• Money for parking and change for vending machines. (A quick stop at the ATM on the way..)

• A few basic toiletries, such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant.
• A change of clothes. (Who is going to care what he is wearing anyway...)
• Some snacks and something to read during the early stages. (If I can't eat...he sure as hell isn't eating anything!!!)
• A camera/video camera with memory card and batteries (or film or tape). Someone has to document the big event! (Note: Not all hospitals allow videotaping of the birth itself, but there's usually no rule against taping during labor or after the birth.) (There will be NO taping of anything going on down there!)
• A bathing suit. If your partner wants to take a bath or shower during labor, you may want to jump in with her. (This one just kills me! This is not the time for them to be taking a shower and I highly doubt I would want to jump in too!!)

Postpartum
• A fresh nightgown, if you prefer to wear your own. (Nope, those hospital ones will be comfy enough for me....) NOT! I will be there for 4 days...I think I will want to be comfortable. I wonder if you can bring your own mattress too....hmmm...

• Snacks! After many hours of labor, you're likely to be pretty hungry, and you don't want to have to rely on the hospital's food. So bring your own — crackers, fresh or dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, or whatever you think you'll enjoy. A bottle of nonalcoholic champagne might be fun for celebrating, too. (If I am going to go through the trouble of buying ANY champagne, it is going to have alcohol in it...trust me!)
• A nursing bra, breast pads, and maternity underwear. Chances are, whatever underwear you do wear the first few days will get stained, even with sanitary pads (which the hospital provides). (Something to look forward to....)
• Your address book and prepaid phone card or cell phone. After the baby's born you'll want to call family and friends to let them know the good news. Some hospitals don't allow cell phones to be used in the labor and delivery area, so you may want to ask about it ahead of time. (An address book....what a novel idea...just the time I would want to sit down and start addressing some envelopes!)
• A going-home outfit. Bring something roomy and easy to get into (believe it or not, you'll probably still look 5 or 6 months pregnant ) — along with a pair of flat shoes. The last thing you'll be worrying about when you go home is whether your outfit is fashionable. (At last...a sensible suggestion from them!)

For your baby
• An infant car seat. You can't drive your baby home without one! In fact, you'll want to have the seat properly installed ahead of time, and you'll want to know exactly how to correctly buckle in your baby.

• A going-home outfit (one-piece stretchy outfits are easiest) and a snowsuit if it's very cold. Include a pair of socks or booties if the outfit doesn't have feet.
• A receiving blanket (a heavy one if the weather's cold) (What do they consider "cold"? Arizona in December cold....or Chicago in December cold?)
• A cap (although they'll usually give you one at the hospital) (Because those are stylish hats...every baby is wearing the SAME one!)
• Baby nail clippers or emery board. (Never a better time for Rylee's first mani and pedi!)

What not to bring
• Jewelry (Not like it fits anymore anyway..)

• Lots of cash, credit cards, or any other valuables (Who has lots of cash anymore anyway...)
• Work. Yes, we actually know fast-track types who have sent business e-mails from the hospital room, made work-related phone calls, and reviewed spreadsheets. But we don't recommend it. (Dang...I told my principal that I would be able to send lesson plans while I was in the hospital...Guess I will have to tell her that Babycenter told me not too....)

Ok, granite I have never done this before...but seriously...can't the doctor just come to your house and do the delivery so you don't have to rent a U-haul to get to the hospital? And Paul thought I was nuts when I said I needed a Sequoia for the third row. I need it just to get to the hospital before the baby is even BORN! I am going to need a Suburban to get home from the hospital! CRAZINESS.....

P.S. I know I am going to get some comment about how you really do need one of these items that I listed as "Seriously..." But like I said before...I have never done this before.

No comments: