Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Starting a Schedule

Ever since New Year's Day Night, Rylee Rose has been sleeping from her 8:00 feeding to her 2:00 feeding. We felt so lucky that she was sleeping for that long and being only 4 weeks old. So last night, after Rylee waking up at 2:45 for the past three nights in a row, I thought I would try to follow the advice from the book, On Becoming Baby Wise. Let them cry it out because they are waking up out of habit rather than hunger. So 2:00 comes and I lay awake waiting for her to wake up. 2:45 on the dot she starts crying. I go in, give her the pacifier and leave. She pops it out, cries for about 5 minutes and falls back asleep. 3:30 rolls around and same thing. 4:30 approaches, again, same thing. At this point I am only trying to make it to 5:00 so she will be used to waking up at that time so we can eat and leave the house to go to school. So I cave and at 4:30, I change her diaper (which is HUGE and WET!) and make a bottle. She was happy as a clam after I changed the diaper and probably would have went back to sleep but I was up so whatever. So do I head out and find overnight diapers for a size 1 baby, change her in the middle of the night, or just go back to feeding her at 2:00 because she is only 5 weeks old and maybe this is all a little much for a little baby. Oh what to do. One thing I know for sure is that I can only handle the "average" three nights it takes the baby to not wake up at that 2:00 feeding. We will see what night two brings!
Those doctors that wrote that book should give their phone number in the back so you call them with all your "what if" questions and don't have to bug your family who already have kids.

2 comments:

Karissa said...

You are so funny! The sad thing is, I don't even rember what I did! It's only been 10 months! I like the idea of the phone numbers in the back of the book...they would make A LOT of money if they set up like a 1-900 line! Desperate mommies are willing to pay ANYTHING in the heat of the moment :) Hmmmm, maybe I should paten that!

Colleen said...

Katie, you are such a good writer, if only your humor transferred to real life! HA!
You can call, I just don't want you to get mad if I don't give the right answer, I think that's the bad thing about giving advice, what works for one, may not work for another!

AND-what is with these blogs and NO PICTURES!