Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Oh Dear!

So today is the day Rylee and I head off to Gymboree Play and Music. The class is for 16-22 month olds and I am not quite sure what they do there but I signed her up and off we go to try it! Rylee loves to run, play, "sing" and dance so I thought....this could be for her!
So why is it that the 28 year old mom (me) is N.E.R.V.O.U.S.! Paul just laughed this morning when I was telling him but he's a guy....guys just DON'T care. So why do I?
Why do I care if the other moms there don't like me?
Why do I care if Rylee is the only child there not talking?
Why do I care if the other kids there don't like Rylee?

Why is all about acceptance and fitting in? Why do I feel like I should have gone to the salon to get my hair done yesterday?! ha! (A good thing the lady that called me yesterday to confirm told me that parents wear socks! Otherwise I just might have been at the pedicure place! lol!)
This is ALL about a little 18 month old going to have fun and play! I read Lindsay's blog this morning and boom...she said it all with this quote:

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

Hopefully I can remember this while there! As long as she is having fun, that's all that matters! And if the parents there don't like me, or the kids don't like Rylee...well then, that must just mean that it's not the class/place for us! (This must be the reason the place offers first class free/trial, right?!) ;o) It is just always hard being the new people, moving into a new neighborhood, starting a new class...it's just all uncertain. But the best I can do is just go in and be myself! (And spend only 30 minutes getting ready instead of an hour! ha!)
I plan on going with the camera and posting pictures when I get home! Maybe another mom there will see the camera and think....that mom must blog! ha! Not....that mom is crazy and needs to document EVERY step of her daughters life! :o)
Oh Dear....that's all I got for now! Oh Dear!

8 comments:

Karissa said...

Every mom there, if it is their first time is feeling the same way you are!! Looks like you have done a pretty good job of convincing yourself that you have it all under-control, so just HAVE FUN! I have that same anxiety STILL with two kids! The best thing you can do is be yourself, and who knows, you may walk away with new friendships. If your not yourself though, you could walk away with friends that aren't really for you!

If I wasn't being myself 12 years ago in the lobby of our dorm at ASU I never would have met your sister :)

Let us know how it goes!

XOXO

Katie Thomson said...

Thanks Karissa! :o) I will post an update when I return! I just hate that I still have these feelings at 28 but makes me feel a bit better that it's normal. If I want to truely be myself can I go in my pajamas? lol.

Katie Thomson said...

*truly

Jennifer Weworski said...

It's not any easier at 42... New kids & parents at football, baseball, dance, new family BBQ at Xavier, 8th grade graduation... I'm not sure it ever ends:o)

Colleen said...

Keeping it REAL! This is how everyone feels, some people just aren't willing to express it, and if they aren't willing to express it, I don't want to be their friend. I think the reason I have made so many friends recently is that I have come to the conclusion that EVERYONE feels this way, and I just behave the way I want to. I don't like everyone, and everyone isn't going to like me! I think a boob job and tummy tuck would help solidify this even further-off to research! XOXO

Colleen said...

PS-you should have enrolled her in an afternoon class, you could have had a glass of wine before, it is my secret weapon for those situations that scare me most-AND, if people are judgmental and don't like that-I DON'T WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH THEM!!!!

Katie Thomson said...

LOVING all the advice! *Especially maybe the glass of wine before hand! ha!
Jennifer-there would definitely be a salon visit before that Xavier BBQ! And probably a pedicure too! lol.
Well we are back and survived! I will post pics soon! All I have to say is THANK GOD Rylee is NOT in the class that follows the one she is in! THAT is the class that I would need to go to the salon for! OMG!

Katie Thomson said...

Oh...and Colleen...did any research come up with a buy one get one free deal? I would SO be into that! ;o)